Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Some things Shane Claiborne said and my thoughts in repsonse

Things Shane Claiborne said and my thoughts in response.

1.) There is a difference between being pro-life and being pro birth. 
I am pro life. This means I disagree with abortion and murder and the death penalty and war. Being pro life means so much more than just being against abortion. It means giving the child a hope for the future.

2.) When the woman was brought to Jesus he got down and started digging in the dirt. I wonder what he was writing...like...'Where's the man?' 
A day prior I was having a conversation with my friend Peg and she and I actually got to talking about this story. And Peg said those very words to me. Funny how we often miss the story. How often we use other people to argue our moral positions. When we do this, and we judge them, we actually do them harm. (Also, notice that when Jesus tells the woman to go and sin no more, he's talking about judging people...not adultery.)

3.) (In response to being asked whether a Christian could be President) A man once asked Tertullian (a church father from the 2nd century) if he thought a Christian could be emperor. Tertullian responded, 'an Emperor could be a Christian if he ceased to be Emperor'
This made me laugh because I was talking with my friends JD and Tom Fuerst a couple of months ago and Tom made a similar statement. Maybe one day Tom will be a famous speaker traveling around the country preaching to churches, colleges, and seminaries!

4.) It is not enough to have good theology. and the response to bad theology is not NO theology instead the answer is good theology
I like these two points. Very interestingly Shane kept talking about how different statements were good theology or bad theology. Its a good thing to note that everything we do has a theological support holding it up. Our ethics come from our theology. I like that point.

5.) We read a prayer at the end of his time in chapel. At the end of the prayer we declared our allegiance to the Slaughtered Lamb. And to this I say AMEN!!!

3 comments:

Phil Strahm said...

1.) There is a difference between being pro-life and being pro birth.
... Being pro life means so much more than just being against abortion. It means giving the child a hope for the future.

I've been looking for a clear quote like this...thanks.
I think Obama wants to help mom's and their kids have a better life if the mom chooses to keep the kid. I felt McCain was making a pro-life stance moreso to get votes and no real change was going to happen...but in a backwards way the man who is more liberal (Obama) might do more for the cause of pro-life than McCain...maybe.

dan said...

Isn't that interesting, Obama has been talking about dealing with the underlying issues, that when they are dealt with the reduction of abortions will happen.

I don't think that a straight up anti-abortion pick will actually solve the issue. Cause just like Prop 8 in Cali, it's going to be repealed...so we're going to spend years in court battling the issue out! What a waste of time. Maybe in the end the position of trying to reduce abortions might save more lives... we'll see

Tom 1st said...

I probably have about as much chance becoming a famous, traveling preacher as I do becoming president.