Thursday, May 26, 2005

Why I don't want to be the Schwab

One of my new favorite shows is ESPN's "Stump the Schwab." I sit on my couch amazed at the huge amounts of sports trivia that he has hidden in his head. 3 people who have taken tests and are quite knowledgible about sports challenge him every show, and usually they are the ones who are left sitting there looking like they don't know who the Yankees are.
I like to think of myself as a person who knows a thing or two about sports trivia, and I do know alot of useless information. But I would not stand up to the Schwab's knee if we were stood side by side, he is just amazing.
But as smart as he is, and as much sports trivia that he contains in his head. He still is not a true sports figure. When you look at the Schwab all you see is a fat man who wears throw back jerseys. He looks as athletic as a pregnant woman. His job is to sit behind a deak and learn as much as he can about sports, but that does not make him an jock. In fact it makes him a stat boy.
I guess that resembles the person who knows the Bible but it doesn't have an impact on his or her life. Look at countless people who can quote large portions of the Bible, but they don't have a relationship with God. Yeah they know about God, but they don't know God. They can describe God, but they don't know from experience.
Yeah Schwab is an entertaining guy, but if i had my choice and he had his choice, we'd rather be the guys on the court.

No comments: