Monday, September 15, 2008

Abortion pt. 2 (As a Christian...)

As a Christian, I do not put my hope in laws. As a Christian, I do not put my hope in kings, presidents, or elected representivites. As a Christian, I do not believe that the world will become a better place because I can voice my opinion and my beliefs. As a Christian, I believe that the world is made better through the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit working through the church. This is what makes me a Christian.

So, as a Christian, I also believe that Jesus calls us to stand up against the injustice of our day. As a Christian, I believe that Jesus gave of himself for those who had no voice. As a Christian, I believe that Jesus loves those who did (and do) evil. As a Christian, I believe that we do not live life in the black and white, that we should see the complexity of a thousand shades of gray. As a Christian, I believe that Jesus brought hope to those he met. As a Christian, I believe that I am called to follow the example Jesus set before me.

So, as a Christian, I read stories of Jesus not coming to condem the world, but to save it. As a Christian, I believe that Jesus came to proclaim good news to the poor, to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor. As a Christian, I read about Jesus telling the woman caught in adultry that he does not condemn her. As a Christian, I read of Isaiah telling the people of Israel to seek justice, encourage the oppressed, to defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.

So...as a Christian, who is more worthy of my support: the unborn baby who can't defend himself or the unwed mother who has no support?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What if... What if the same amount of time, energy and money that has been spent campaigning and waging war against abortion (clinics, politicians, Dr's, individuals, organizations etc.) had instead been spent on providing opportunities for women with unwanted pregnancies?

What if, at the door of every abortion clinic, instead of seeing signs with inflammatory slogans, women were met with a genuine offer of assistance for whatever would meet their needs- physical, spiritual, emotional, relational and practical. What if, before making the choice to abort, women met with a counselor who could explain to them all of the support that would be provided for that woman should she choose to keep her baby- education assistance, money for child care, a flexible job opportunity, a safe home, counseling (career, marital or other). I wonder if we truly put as much effort into saving the moms as we put into saving the unborn babies, what would the result be?