Where has the time gone? June has swept past us, and before you know it November 3rd will be here! I am going to take a bit of time away from deeper things and do some writting on something else near and dear to my heart-baseball. But if you want to read something deep and thought provoking check out Stephanie's article on Simplicity-it's really good!
Now on to baseball...
This summer looks like it could be the summer of epic proportions. Everybody and their mom is doing something specialon the field. Here are a few things that have already happened as we near the All Star break:
1. Mark Buehrle of the Chicago White Sox threw a no hitter on April 18. And the only runner he let on (Sammy Sosa) was picked off first base-meaning he faced the minimum number of batters possible (27).
2. Troy Tulowitzki of the Colorado Rockies “turned” an unassisted triple play on April 29. This has only happened 13 times in MLB history (over 100 years)!!!
3. Justin Verlander of the Detroit Tigers threw a no-hitter on June 12. Becoming the first no-hitter for the Tigers since 1984!! (This one has been my favorite event of the year so far!!).
4. Sammy Sosa of the Texas Rangers hit the 600th Home Run of his career on June 20. Sammy did this against the team he made his name playing for, the Chicago Cubs- How crazy!
5. Frank Thomas of the Toronto Blue Jays (it’s still weird to me he’s not a White Sox any more) hit his 500th career Home Run on June 28. Ironically, in the same ballpark he hit his first dinger.
So in 125 plus years:
• Pitchers have thrown 234 no hitters.
• A player hit 500 career Home Runs 21 times.
• An unassisted triple play has happened 13 times.
• Only 5 people have hit 600 Home Runs
History has been happening before our eyes this year on the baseball diamond! If you havn’t been watching, you should have. This has been one of the most explosive seasons ever and it’s only half way done! If the season is only half over what other events could take place?
• Four other guys have the chance to break 500 Homers (A-Rod, Man Ram, Jim Thome, & Gary Sheffield).
• Pedro Martinez should come to the 3000 career strike out mark.
• Two guys are in position to get 3000 hits (Craig Biggio and Barry Bonds).
• Tom Glavin is a few wins away from 300 in his career.
• Ken Griffey Jr. is streaking towards 600 (if he stays healthy).
• Barry Bonds looks like he is going to break Hank Aaron’s all time Home Run mark (755).
The summer of ’07 could be the summer that changes everything! Or maybe it's a great year to watch baseball!